Acton-Boxborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council
- 10/19/2016 PAC Meeting – Our next business meeting is Wednesday, October 19th, at 7:30 p.m. in the RJ Grey Junior High library. Connect with other families and get up to speed on special education news and information. The PAC is seeking a secretary and we will hold an election for that role at this meeting. Food and refreshments will be served. We hope to see you there! Please note this meeting will be followed by a brief Friends of AB SpEd PAC meeting.
- 2016-2017 Parenting Support Hour Schedule – This is an informal, parent-to-parent support group facilitated by parents from the PAC to share stories, resources, ideas, and experiences. We welcome parents and guardians of children with learning differences, special needs, or other challenges. This group is free and open to all communities. Join us in the Blue Room downstairs at St. Matthews Methodist Church, 435 Central Street in Acton, from 1-3 p.m. on the following Saturdays this school year: 9/17, 10/15, 11/19, 12/3, 1/7, 2/4, 3/4, 4/8, 5/6, 6/10. Drop ins welcome. Questions? E-mail Jeanne at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- NEW 2015 AB SpEd PAC Parent/Guardian Survey Report – From May to July of 2015 the PAC conducted a parent/guardian survey to gather feedback on a number of important issues. There were several interesting findings and trends from the survey we conducted in 2011.
Previous survey reports are available by clicking here.
- New Staff & Administrators – We welcome our new Assistant Superintendent of Student Services and Special Education Director as well as new building-level special education staff district-wide. We look forward to continuing our positive working relationship with the ABRSD Student Services department. For an updated listing of all special education leadership and an organizational chart outlining responsibilities, please click here.
- 2015-2016 Staff Recognition/Teaching Excellence Award – After careful review and discussion of parent feedback, we have selected ABRHS’s Nikki Jeanotte to receive this year’s Staff Recognition/Teaching Excellence Award. The feedback from multiple families painted a picture of an exceptionally kind, patient, talented, and dedicated educator who routinely goes out of her way to forge strong connections with students through genuine interest in their lives, unflagging individual attention and support, and encouragement and care not only for her students’ social, emotional, physical, and academic needs but for their families as well. Ms. Jeanotte is an exceptional teacher who has deeply touched the lives of her students, helping them build self-confidence as well as core emotional and academic competencies to prepare them for future successes in life.
- Special Education Attorney Daniel Perlman Presentation – On November 18th, 2015, Attorney Dan Perlman presented on how to handle disagreements in special education, citing recent BSEA decisions and emphasizing due process, working with the team, responding to an IEP, and independent evaluations. Slides from his presentation are available on his site.
- Dr. Bostic’s Mental Health Presentation — On June 2nd, 2015, Dr. Jeffrey Bostic, assistant clinical professor of psychiatry at Harvard Medical School and director of school psychiatry at Mass General Hospital, gave a presentation addressing the topic of mental health issues in children and teens. Click here to access the slides from his presentation: Building Better Brains at School.
- 2014 Special Education Population Trends Report – In September 2012, the AB SpEd PAC published two separate reports titled Special Education Spending & Population Trends 2004–2011 – one for Acton Public Schools and one for Acton-Boxborough Regional Schools. These reports can be found on the PAC website at http://abspedpac.org/reports/sped-spending-trends/. The current report focuses on updating those trends with the last three years’ data and including Boxborough’s student population in our analysis as we look ahead to a fully regionalized Pre K-12 district. We believe that tracking population and spending trends over time and comparing our district to other high-performing districts can provide valuable information to help inform future decision-making related to special education budgeting and planning.
- Dr. Gaab’s Dyslexia Presentation – On March 12th, 2014 Dr. Nadine Gaab from Children’s Hospital/Harvard Medical School gave a very engaging and informative presentation on the most recent research related to Dyslexia, reading acquisition and the brain development of children with Developmental Dyslexia. A link to Dr. Gaab’s presentation is included here. And a link to sign-up for Dr. Gaab’s research registry is here.
- AB SpEd PAC Presents First Teaching Excellence Award – In June of 2013 the AB SpEd PAC awarded retiring Gates 5th grade teacher, Monty Grob, with our first Teaching Excellence Award. Mr. Grob was an exceptional teacher who was deeply committed to the success of every student in his classroom. He put enormous effort and compassion into understanding how each individual child learned and ferreting out obstacles that got in the way of student learning. As a community we’re very grateful for the years he dedicated to educating our children. In addition to an engraved crystal award, over the summer the AB SpEd PAC installed a cast aluminum garden sign in Mr. Grob’s honor at Gates Elementary School to commemurate the wonderful, year round garden he created for students on the school property.
- AB SpEd PAC Special Education Parent Handbook – This handbook defines terminology, timelines and the different steps in the special education process from evaluation for services through IEP development and transition planning. It offers parent tips and resources and includes a list of the special education programs and services available in the Acton Public and Acton-Boxborough School districts. If you have questions about special education, this should be a very useful reference guide.
- Donate to support ABSpEdPAC programs and services. Please make checks payable to “Friends of ABSpEdPAC” and mail to Nancy Sherburne, 10 Heritage Rd, Acton, MA 01720. To learn how your donation will help reference our recent letter.
- Email Lists: We have two email lists, one for news about upcoming events and activities, the other for confidential communication between parents of children with special needs.
- Calendar of Events – This calendar includes special education related presentations, meetings, and workshops in Acton, Boxborough and surrounding communities. To add an event, email the event name, date, time, description, contact information and/or link to email@example.com. The calendar is updated about once a week, so get your events in early!
- Would you like to become more involved in the PAC?
Please see our Volunteer page.
- For further information about the AB SpEd PAC contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.