The Acton-Boxborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council’s mission is to ensure understanding, respect, support and the appropriate education of all children in our community. We strive to:
- Promote and support an innovative educational environment wherein children with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities, encouraging all students to realize their full potential.
- Provide regular forums to stimulate meaningful dialogue between parents/guardians and the Acton-Boxborough school system.
- Work in partnership with school administrators on the planning, development, and evaluation of district special education programs.
- Participate in the school district’s budget process, particularly as it pertains to special education students.
- Provide outreach, support and education to members of the community.
- Maintain a support network among parents/guardians.
- Maintain and update our website to disseminate information and share resources with families.
- Keep current with legislative actions and inform our members and community.
Goals: 2017-2018 School Year
Work collaboratively with the Acton-Boxborough Regional School District on the following primary goals:
- Identify ways to improve inclusion practices in the schools and community
- Work with families and Student Services to explore issues found via 2017 parent/guardian mini survey, particularly around communication and Extended School Year programming
- Conduct MCAS analysis and promote stronger academic progress and improved and transparent measures of growth beyond SGP for Students with Disabilities
- Update Special Education Parent Handbook to reflect regionalization, new programs, and department structure
- Revise long-form parent/guardian survey
- PAC site revisions
- Community education and outreach regarding Basic Rights, mental health & the IEP, transition, autism, and Extended School Year programming