The Acton-Boxborough Special Education Parent Advisory Council’s mission is to ensure understanding, respect, support and the appropriate education of all children in our community. We strive to:
- Promote and support an innovative educational environment wherein children with disabilities have equal access to educational opportunities, encouraging all students to realize their full potential.
- Provide regular forums to stimulate meaningful dialogue between parents/guardians and the Acton-Boxborough school system.
- Work in partnership with school administrators on the planning, development, and evaluation of district special education programs.
- Participate in the school district’s budget process, particularly as it pertains to special education students.
- Provide outreach, support and education to members of the community.
- Maintain a support network among parents/guardians.
- Maintain and update our website to disseminate information and share resources with families.
- Keep current with legislative actions and inform our members and community.
Goals: 2016-2017 School Year
Work collaboratively with the Acton-Boxborough Regional School District on the following primary goals:
- Build relationships and partnerships with new Student Services leadership
- Continue to follow through with second year of APPLE plan implementation
- Offer several joint workshops or seminars with the district beyond Basic Rights
- Update Special Education Parent Handbook to reflect regionalization and new programs
- Work with families and Student Services to explore issues found via 2015 parent/guardian survey, particularly around communication, Out of District students
- Conduct MCAS analysis and promote stronger academic progress and improved and transparent measures of growth beyond SGP for Students with Disabilities
- Pursue IEP/504 sign off policy given 8% of parents surveyed in 2015 report staff not aware child was on an IEP/504 in the previous year